Sunday, January 25, 2009

Salsa Black Bean Soup

I found this on another website and modified it for my own needs, especially based on my food intolerance's. So, here goes a new soup that will be eaten a lot in the M@ngus household! Note: I cooked 2 lbs of chicken in the slow cooker the day before and shredded it. I froze 1/2 of in in chicken broth and put the other half in the fridge for this soup. Also, if I had more time I would probably use dry beans and just cook them up.

1 lb cooked, shredded chicken
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
3-4 chicken bouillon cubes
4-5 cups water
2-3 cups sliced/diced mushrooms
1 c. frozen corn
1 jar thick-and-chunky salsa--mild
1/2 tsp. cumin

Garnish:
sour cream
cheddar cheese

Add the first 8 ingredients to a large saucepan and heat thoroughly. Garnish with the sour cream and cheese.

Can add to slow cooker, but I didn't have time and am too rushed lazy in the morning to put in my slow cooker. So, I made this over the stove and let it simmer for 1-2 hours. I absolutely loved this, which says a lot, because I generally hate salsa. Jeff, as usual, loved it.

No comments: