Monday, June 15, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Mom's Cookie Sheet Cake


0613091530.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
This is my favorite birthday cake and, boy, this picture does not do the cake any justice. Since I was a little kid my mom would make this for me, because she knew it was my favorite. Also, I was born on Father's Day and my birthday--June 15, 198?-- often falls on Father's Day, so my Dad and I share the cake. It's moist and chocolaty, and, well, the best thing since sliced bread. Go out and get the ingredients for this--NOW!

Mom's Cookie Sheet Cake

1 c oleo
1 c water
1/4 c cocoa
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla

Boil: oleo, water and cocoa. While hot, pour over flour and sugar which has been placed in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for a couple minutes until cooled slightly. Add milk and soda. Add eggs and vanila. Pour into a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Immediately frost with the following icing recipe:

1 stick oleo
1/4 c. cocoa
6 tbsp milk

Bring to a boil and add 1 pound powdered sugar. Spread on hot cake.


Like I said--THIS IS MY FAVORITE BIRTHDAY CAKE. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!! Also, I need to mention that my mom found this recipe eons ago in her old cookbook. I submitted this to a Midwestern newspaper and won a $25.00 Best Recipe contest back in 2005!

No comments: