Monday, July 06, 2009

Cheese Salad


0704091834.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
I found this on Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi (link on the left), and knew I had to try this. Heidi said that her aunt makes the salad and that there's not any left at the end of the day. With that in mind, I made this and stayed fairly true to the recipe. The only thing I didn't add was 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, because I'm not a fan of heat.

Ingredients:
1 lb block Colby-jack cheese cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 lb block pepper jack cheese cut in 1/2 inch cubes
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 jar green olives, sliced in 1/2
1/2 cup miracle whip
1 TBSP Dijon mustard (I used German mustard)
1/2 tsp original Mrs. Dash
1/8 tsp cayenne (NOTE: I DID NOT USE THIS)

Mix cheeses, tomato and olives in a large bowl. In small bowl combine miracle whip, Dijon mustard, cayenne (if using) and Mrs. Dash. Pour onto cheese mixture and mix well to coat. Chill, but do not make more than 6 hours ahead of time, or it MAY get soupy. We ate it for two days, and it was fine!

VERDICT: We really liked this! You don't need much more than 1/4 cup-1/3 cup, because it's very rich. I didn't add the cayenne, and I don't think I ever will, because I could really taste the spices in the pepper jack this way.

No comments: