Thursday, July 16, 2009

Saving Money on Chicken!


0716091458.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
When I can get boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.99 a pound, I try and stock up. We have a small freezer, and have been thinking about buying a tiny deep freeze, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

At the store today I bought 6 lbs of chicken, but they were in large containers, so I decided to split them up into 1 pound packages. Now, I know that's not A LOT of chicken, but there's only two of us, so it's 12 meals. Besides, I get all of my red meat from back home in Iowa, so that takes up quite a bit of room.

When I split up chicken for the freezer, I use freezer bags, and to avoid freezer burn, I put a liquid in with the chicken. NOTE: MAKE SURE ALL LIQUID IS COLD! :)

Today I used:
1 cup chicken broth (2 packages)
1/4 cup honey BBQ sauce with 1-2 TBSP water (2 packages)
1/3 cup fat free Italian dressing (1 package)

Now, the liquid state above is for just ONE package. For instance, I needed 2 cups of chicken broth to make my packages today. Also, I suggest labeling, then placing the liquid in the packages before adding the chicken. You can set up an assembly-like line that way.

The last package of chicken is sitting in the refrigerator marinating in 1/3 cup. light ranch dressing with 1 TBSP Teriyaki sauce. That recipe will be up later.

Anyway, I put the packages into the freezer to harden. I find this also saves space in my freezer compared to those large containers that the grocery store packages the chicken in.

No comments: