Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Glorified Rice


1125092122.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine

My paternal grandmother used to make this for every Thanksgiving. However, she is no longer able to cook, so the job has been passed to me (because my mom HATES this salad). This is my second year making it, and I have to say, it tastes just like Grandma's did.

Ingredients
1 pkg. red Jell-o, Raspberry (I used sugar-free)
3/4 c. uncooked rice
1 sm. can crushed pineapple (I use the one packed in pineapple juice)
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. sugar

Mix Jell-o according to directions on the package. Let sit until almost firm (hint: if it does firm up, just stir it well and fast with the rice). Cook rice with equal amounts of water, drain, if necessary, and cool. Drain pineapple. Whip cream until stiff and add sugar. Fold all of the ingredients together (I usually mix the Jell-o and rice first, then add the pineapple and last the cream). Let sit in refrigerator until firm, or about 2 hours.


VERDICT: Tastes just as I remember! While it sounds like it would be super-sweet, it's not. It has a fruity taste, but it's not overbearing...I just don't know how to put the actual taste into words. I love the cream, and truth be told, I'm usually a Cool-Whip girl--because of the no fuss, already made, don't have to mess with beating cream idea. Yet, I LOVE how easy the cream whips up, and how rich it is!

My mom would be happy to forgo this dish, but my dad, myself and one of my brothers would be pretty ticked off--it's a tradition! Almost as much of a tradition as throwing food at my brother. :)

No comments: