Sunday, December 13, 2009

Taco Salad #3, The Famous One

This is my most requested Taco Salad, because it's super simple, and I don't have to worry about the dressing that's in it during hot picnic weather. Also, apparently some people--my husband being one of them--doesn't like a creamy taco salad. He likes his chunky, which is exactly what this is! 

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef, browned (I used 93% lean)
1 package taco seasoning (I used 1/4 cup of the bulk powder I have)
1 cup water
6 cups torn iceberg lettuce (I used a package of lettuce, which is why you see carrots and cabbage in the picture)
1 can rinsed red kidney beans (sometimes I add 2 or more, but I really like them!)
About 1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup diced white onion, more if you want
1-2 tomatoes (I only had 1 on hand)
About 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby-Jack)
Baked Doritos, crushed (add right before serving)

After browning hamburger add the taco seasoning and water. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove and allow to cool. Note: This will be somewhat runny! Meanwhile, combine the lettuce, beans, olives, onion, tomatoes and cheese. When the burger mixture is cool add to the lettuce mixture and mix well.Chill, if you have time. Before serving add crushed Doritos to the salad. (Since it's just Jeff and I, we usually add the Doritos to individual plates so they don't get all slimy when we store the salad.

VERDICT: Jeff's favorite! I like it, too, but I still like a little dressing in mine. However, this is MUCH healthier. :)

No comments: