Friday, April 10, 2009

Stained-Glass Eggs


0410092150.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
I am going to start trying to take pictures of the items I make. Let's see how this goes! Anyway, a little while ago I found this post from The Barefoot Kitchen Witch and I knew I had to try it--if only to watch people squirm when they eat their deviled eggs on Sunday.

1 dozen eggs
pinch of salt (used in case an egg cracks--or you can use a pickle)
food coloring
cold water

Gently place the eggs into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. My rule of thumb is that the water should cover the eggs by at least 1 inch. Then, add the salt and bring to a boil. Note: Since I have an electric stove once the eggs come to a boil I shut off the heating element, but leave them on the burner. After 3 minutes I place the lid on the pan and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 12-15 minutes. After about 12 minutes I take the eggs out and place them in a colander and place ice on top until the eggs are cool to the touch.

While the eggs are cooling, prepare the food coloring. Add enough water to the colored paste (I used Wilt0n's) to create the color you want.

Once the eggs are cool, gently crack the shells on the eggs. I found that first cracking the bottom, then the top of the egg was easier than just rolling it on a table top.

After cracking the shells add the eggs to the colored water and let sit until desired color is reached. I left mine in for about 4.5 hours.

What I found is that all I had was pastel food coloring--and so I did not get deep colors. But, I think they looked great!

When we get back from our friend's wedding tomorrow night I will cut the eggs, remove the yolks and make the deviled eggs. To make the filling mix the following together:

Hard boiled yolks from the eggs--crumbled
Light Miracle Whip
Ground pepper

Pipe into the egg halves. Before serving sprinkle with paprika.

No comments: