Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Almond Joy Fudge


0526091830.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
When I am stressed I cook and bake. When I cook and bake, I eat the food...which is not always a good thing. :)

I eat a lot of almonds as mid-morn and afternoon snacks at school, and since school is out, I have some extras to use up. This fudge is really good, and tastes somewhat like an Almond Joy. However, I must make the disclaimer that it is not as good as my mom's Christmas fudge. I found this on About.com and the recipe is from Elizabeth LaBau.


3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
4 TBSP butter, cut up
1 cup almonds, chopped (I only chopped about 1/4 c., the rest I left whole)
1 1/3 c. shredded coconut--divided

Grease a 9x9 pan and set aside. Place the chips, milk and butter into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for one minute increments until melted (mine took two minutes). Stir the mixture until smooth, then add the almonds and 1 c. coconut until they are evenly distributed. Pour into greased pan and smooth to even the layers. Then, take the 1/3 c. of coconut and sprinkle on the top of the fudge and press down into the fudge to set. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

We both really liked this--even though I still like my Christmas fudge. This is a great variation and may make the rounds for some holidays. Right now, though, we're enjoying it as an after dinner treat.

No comments: