Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day Chicken & Stuffing


0621091332.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
My mom, dad and brother (Aron) came down to help us fix our garage door. Yesterday, one of the cables on the door snapped, and well, we couldn't get it fixed with just the two of us. So, we enlisted their help. In turn, they got a meal. --Although, my mom said that if I wanted to cook for them, I shouldn't break the garage door. :)

1-1 1/2 lbs. chicken (I used some frozen breast/tenders)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (the healthy kind)
1/2 c. water (I might have used more--I didn't measure)
3-4 slices of 2% cheddar cheese
1 box chicken stuffing mix (I used Stove Top)
1/4 c. melted butter
Scant 1/4 cup water

Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place a 1/2 slice of cheese on each piece of chicken. Mix the soup and water, then pour over the chicken gently, so you don't push the cheese off. Pour the stuffing mix over the chicken mixture evenly, then pour the melted butter over the stuffing and hen pour the water over the stuffing. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. I ended up cooking it on high for 3 hours and turning it to low for 30 minutes or so until we were ready to eat. The chicken came out perfect and tender.

I'm not going to lie--it's effing hot in the Midwest right now, so I didn't want to heat up the house with an oven. Using the slow cooker was a trick I got from my mom when I was a kid. I grew up in a 100+-year-old house and all we had were little window air-conditioners to cool the house. To keep the house cool, she would make different slow cooker recipes or grill outside.

Anyway, we all liked this dish. Even those who don't usually like stuffing liked this dish (oops--like my dad and Jeff), so I would say it was a hit.

No comments: