Monday, July 27, 2009

Cherry Turnovers


0727091850.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
We're back from our vacation in New Mexico and Colorado, and I'm finally feeling like cooking again! Things might be sparse again as I'm supposed to get my Invisalign braces tomorrow, and my mouth might be sore for a few days. I did buy a Bake Sale magazine to read on the way home and have some ideas for future posts. However, I was completely in love with the cherry turnovers tonight.

My high school used to serve turnovers, and on those days no one would be absent! Now, I have to admit that the school's were more flaky, but these taste just about the same!

Ingredients for turnover:
1 puff pastry sheet (1/2 package), thawed
1/2 can light cherry pie filling
1 egg

Ingredients for glaze:
powdered sugar
milk
vanilla

Grease a cookie sheet, set aside. Cut puff pastry sheet into 6ths. Roll pastry into a square, then place 1-2 TBSP cherry pie filling in the center of the pastry. Fold one point of the pastry towards the opposite side, creating a triangle. Do this for all six pastries. Next, take a fork and crimp the edges of the pastries, and poke a couple small holes in the top of the pastry to let steam escape. Beat the egg and brush on the top of the pastries (this will make them shiny and brown). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until done.

To make the glaze I usually add approximately 1/3 cup powdered sugar to 2 teaspoons milk and a splash of vanilla. NOTE: I don't measure this, so this is just an approximation. Drizzle over hot turnovers.

VERDICT: Of course we always love this dessert! Jeff likes it with vanilla ice cream, but we didn't have any.

No comments: