Monday, August 03, 2009

Texas Chicken


0802091937.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
Another Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi inspired meal--see the link on the side. We're refinishing the deck, and it's a huge job, so I wanted something I could throw in the slow cooker. After looking at some recipes I starred in my Google Reader I decided that Texas Chicken would easily convert to the slow cooker, so I tore through my badly organized pantry looking for ingredients. I changed the recipe a little, but you can find Heidi' original recipe here. Basically, the changes I made were throwing in some corn and fat free cream cheese.

Ingredients
1 lb chicken
1 TBSP olive oil (optional)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used the healthy kind)
1 can RoTel (I used the generic version)
1 cup frozen corn
4 oz block of 2% colby-jack cheese, shredded
4 oz fat free cream cheese, cubed
Baked Doritos or Baked Tostitos

Place olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker, then add chicken. Mix soup, tomatoes and corn and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 1 hour-30 minutes before eating remove chicken from cooker and shred, then return to cooker. Add cheeses and cook on high for 60-30 minutes, or until cheeses are melted.

To serve: Crush chips and put a layer on plate, then scoop approximately 3/4 cup of chicken mixture over chips, and cover with more chips.

May top with sour cream, lettuce (but not in this household, because we hate warm lettuce), olives, tomatoes, etc.

VERDICT: LOVE THIS RECIPE! Absolutely love it! We liked how spicy this dish was, but wasn't in-your-face hot. Also, the sauce is very creamy, so it feels sinful, but really isn't bad for you considering this makes 6 good-sized servings.

No comments: