Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Loose Meats and Grape Salad


0805091824.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
When given the choice between loose meats and ham and potatoes, Jeff chose loose meats. But, I had no chicken gumbo soup, and I wasn't rockin' the idea of onion powder, so I created a new loose meat sauce.

In addition, I had some grapes wasting away in the fridge, and I couldn't bear the thought of wasting them. To be honest, they are VERY tart, and we can't eat these plain, so I found a savory grape recipe in my 4-H cookbook.


Loose Meat Ingredients
1 lb 93% lean burger, crumbled, browned and drained
3/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. BBQ sauce (I used KC Masterpiece Honey BBQ)
1 TBSP mustard (I used honey mustard)
1/2 c. water
Light buns

After browning meat in a pan, mix in ketchup, BBQ sauce and mustard. Once mixed, add water and stir again. Let simmer until thickened. Serve on buns.



Grape Salad Ingredients
(This is the full recipe, I halved it and only used black grapes)
2 lbs green grapes
2 lbs red grapes
8 oz fat free cream cheese
8 oz light sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. sugar (or Splenda)
Topping: 1 c. chopped, toasted pecans mixed with 1/2 c. brown sugar.

Mix cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla and sugar. Meanwhile, wash and dry grapes. Fold grapes into cream cheese mixture. Chill. Before serving spoon topping over salad (or, since I know I will have leftovers I just top each individual serving).


VERDICT: We liked these loose meats even more than the ones I make with onion powder. Thus, I think this will be my go-to recipe from here on out. As for the grapes, they were good, but still very tart. I may have make them again with green and red grapes to judge the recipe fairly.

No comments: