Saturday, October 03, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese


0927091927.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
I love macaroni and cheese, but I don't like the one that comes from the box. I've been making mac and cheese like this for years, because it's much healthier for you, and tastes better. I've tried many recipes over the years, but this is the one I came up with after having a failure--most notably the epic fail of Rachael Ray's cheese sauce recipe, because it had too much of a flour taste.

So, if you're like me and hate the boxed mac and cheese, or Rachael Ray's version of mac and cheese, give this one a try!


Ingredients:
6 cups (or so, I don't really measure) cooked macaroni
1/2-1 C cold skim milk
4-8 oz. cubed Velveeta 2%
Black pepper to taste

After cooking your macaroni to al-dente drain the macaroni and put back into the cooking pan. Add cold milk right away and stir so that the macaroni absorbs some of the milk. Use only enough milk so that the pan is 1/2 full. Place back on a warm burner and let sit for about 5 minutes. Add Velveeta (to taste, I think I used about 6 oz, and it was just right. However, I know some people like their mac and cheese more cheesy than others), and stir until all cheese is melted. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 15 (or so) minutes so that the cheese sauce thickens. Add lots and lots of black pepper. :)


VERDICT: We really like this! It is especially good when you let it get all gooey. :) I wish I could be more specific with the measurements of this recipe, but I often cook without measuring--it's just one of those things I can gauge.

No comments: