Saturday, October 31, 2009

Serpent Tongues and Juicy Mummies


1031091926.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine

Happy Halloween! I decided to make a great "feast" for us while we were handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. I made mummies, tongues and cookies. I found the mummy and tongue recipe in a Halloween Taste-of-Home book I have. I used the mummy recipe the way it was written, but changed the spices a little bit in the tongue recipe. I will post the cookies tomorrow. However, tonight was a great feast, if I do say so myself!

Mummies
Hot dogs (I used Hebrew National 97% fat free, beef)
bread stick dough (I used bought dough, but if I had more time, I'd use homemade dough)
yellow mustard
ketchup (--blood--for dipping)

Roll the one piece of bread stick dough into about a 12-inch rope, then wrap around one hot dog, leaving a little bit of room at one end, to be the face of the mummy. Repeat for each mummy. Bake in a 350 degree oven until browned, about 18-22 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before eating. Serve with a side of blood (ketchup).


Serpent Tongues
2 large potatoes, take the skin off
oil, for frying

Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice the potato into a large bowl of water. When both potatoes are cut, place about 1 TBSP of salt in the bowl of water, and add ice. Let sit for 20-30 minutes. After soaking, drain well and pat dry. Fry in batches a oil for 3-4 minutes, or until brown in both sides. Take out of oil and immediately spice with the following spice recipe:

2 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP garlic salt
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper



VERDICT: Jeff ate 3 MUMMIES! THREE! Plus, he ate quite a few tongues. I think it's safe to say that I hit a home run with this food. Plus, I liked it, too.

The cookies were good as usual (they're a tradition I've had since childhood), but I'll post those tomorrow. Also, I made a green potion to drink with our meal, but I think I need to tweak it before posting.

No comments: