Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bacon-Chicken Crescent Ring

When we got back from vacation last week I found the Taste of Home Bacon Recipe Cards at the check-out line of Target, and could not pass it up. I have flagged many recipes from this issue, but this is the first one I made--mainly because I had all of the ingredients on hand.  I did half the recipe, and change a couple of things, so I'll print the original, and below it, what I did.

Ingredients--ORIGINAL
2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 can (10 oz) chunk white chicken, drained and flaked
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely chopped  red pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
1 TBSP Italian salad dressing mix

Ingredients--MY VERSION
1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls
5-6 oz cooked, diced chicken (about 1-1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup Colby-Jack cheese
3 oz mayonnaise (maybe a little more to make it moist, I didn't really measure this accurately)
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
2 TBSP cup finely chopped onion
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 TBSP Dijon mustard (I actually used German mustard--and might cut it down to 1/2 TBSP)
1/2 TBSP Italian salad dressing mix

Unroll crescent dough and separate. Grease a pizza pan (I did not do this, because I used my pizza stone), and place the wide ends of rolls a couple of inches from the side of the pan, letting the small end hang over the pan. Repeat with other rolls, overlapping at the wide ends (when you're done the dough will look like a sun). Gently press overlapping sides together.

In a bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Spoon over wide ends of dough. Fold points of triangles over filling and tuck under wide ends (filling will be visible). Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

VERDICT: We really enjoyed the flavor of this dish, even though the German mustard I used was a little strong. I will definitely make this again, though, because it was very easy and it didn't take a lot of work. During the school year I often bake chicken and bacon on the weekends and freeze them in small batches. I just have to defrost the packages and they're ready to go! Thus, I could see myself making this dish often.

No comments: