Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Blueberry Cobbler

I had never made blueberry cobbler before, and when I came across the recipe from Tiffany at Eat at Home, I knew I had to make it. To be honest with you, I was surprised at how easy it was to make. I have only seen cobblers that were made with cake mix, so I jumped at the chance to make this. Personally, I think it's just as easy as the cake mix versions--and tastes better. Plus, I put real whipped cream on the top--and it tastes great! I'm such a whipped cream girl--which is weird, because my family all prefer ice cream or whipped topping (Cool Whip).  Anyway, when we were on vacation in New Mexico last week, Jeff's sister made a blueberry cheesecake, which left me hungry for blueberries, so I decided last night--since it is supposed to be the coolest night of the week-- to make this dessert.

Ingredients
2 to 2 1/2 cups blueberries, rinsed (I used 2 cups)
3/4 cup sugar (I might use 2/3 the next time)
2 TBSP water (used to dissolve the sugar)
1 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place the butter in a 2-quart baking dish, and place in the oven so that the butter melts while you are preparing the rest of the cobbler.

Stir together the 3/4 cup sugar and the blueberries, then add the water and stir until the sugar dissolves. In another bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and milk until smooth.

Pull the casserole dish with the melted butter out of the oven. Pour the cobbler batter over the butter, then spoon the blueberries over the batter. Bake for 45 minutes.

VERDICT: Oh My Goodness!! Why did it take me so long to try this dessert? This is a fabulous dish, even when eaten cold, like I did for lunch today. I love how sweet, yet tart the blueberries are,  and how the cobber base balances it out.

When I make this again, I might try using a little less sugar, because I only used 2 cups of blueberries, and felt there was too much sugar. And, I might try adding 1 tsp. vanilla to the batter, to give it a little lift of flavor.

I also want to point out that I RAN OUT OF SUGAR, and had to use 1/2 cup of Splenda for the topping--and it still turned out great!

No comments: