Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Zucchini Bread

Who doesn't love zucchini bread? It's one of those end-of-summer breads that I always look forward to. But, it's not even close to being the end of summer, as evidence of our 95 degree day today. Actually, I found some frozen, grated zucchini in my freezer and decided to whip up bread for my breakfasts for the next few days.  Don't worry, I try to cook and bake at night so that I don't make the house hot during the day.

About a year ago I came across this recipe from Heidi, and knew I had to try it! As usual, we ended up loving the recipe. And, I thought I had posted it on here, but turns out I didn't, so you're getting it now.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (OMG, as I type this out I realize I forgot to add this ingredient this time! GRRR!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 capful black walnut extract (or 1 cup walnuts), (I did not add this, because I couldn't find the extract, and I don't care for nuts in my zucchini bread)
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP butter

Mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, walnut extract and sugar together in a separate large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini until well combined. Pour batter into two greased loaf pans. Sprinkle each loaf with 1 TBSP of sugar evenly over the top. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Spread 1 TBSP of butter on each loaf of hot bread.

VERDICT: We absolutely love the flavor of this recipe!! And, as you can tell from above, I forgot the baking soda, the bread still came out well! It didn't rise as high as it has in the past, but I can handle that little mess up. Besides, after a breakfast of zucchini bread with butter, who couldn't be happier?!

No comments: