Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer Rotini Salad

So, I decided to join Weight Watchers again. The baby weight just wasn't come off (like I want--I can wear all of my old clothes--they just don't fit the same), and after snacking A LOT during yearbook, so I had put on a few pounds. Instead of doing meetings this time, I joined ONLINE. This has been AMAZING for me. I just type in recipes and find out points. I can check points from anywhere...it's been great. 2 weeks and 6-7 pounds down!! I'll know for sure when I weigh myself on Sunday morning. The downside has been that I've had to learn a new point system; but to be honest, I like this one a lot more.


The nice thing about Weight Watchers is that I can eat any food I want--I just have to watch portions. And, that's how I created this recipe.


I was making pasta for Mason and I had some tomatoes and onion from my mom and dad's garden to use up, so I tied some ideas together. One cup of this comes in at only 5 Points+. Serves 6.


Please note: I cooked the pasta and then measured it when cool. I don't know the measurement for the dry pasta.


Ingredients
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup onions*
3 cups cooked and cooled tri-colored rotini noodles
1 2.25 oz can black olives
1/2 cup Kraft Creamy Italian dressing

Mix noodles, tomatoes, onions and black olives together. Add dressing and stir to combine. You can eat right away, but tastes better after sitting for a few hours.

*If onions are not your thing, I would substitute with either more tomato, or with cucumbers or zucchini. Also, if you have a strong onion, you might want to use 1/2 cup onion and 2 1/2 cups diced tomatoes.

VERDICT: We really liked this--especially for the number of points! It's nice and creamy, and feels bad for you--but it's not with all of those tomatoes and onions. However, if you have a strong onion, I would only use 1/2 and add more tomatoes. But, then again, the onion was very strong and it settled down by the next day.

I combined this salad with saucy chicken (I really need to make that again and take a picture of it to post here) and some watermelon for a total supper of 12 Points+.

No comments: