Thursday, December 29, 2011

Banana Split Cake

I made this for my birthday/father's day back in June; yes, that's right, back in June.

Anyway, this pictures shows a slightly melted cake, and I have learned from my first attempt. I have made a peanut butter version as well, but this is still my favorite. 

Moreover, the instructions are a mere guide, you do not have to follow them exactly. I got the idea from savorysweetlife from A Tasty Recipe. I pretty much follow their ideas, I just rewrote them in terms I will remember.


Ingredients
Oreo Cookies (one package)
butter (1/2 cup)
ripe bananas (I can't remember how many I used)
strawberry ice cream, softened (I used Breyer's)
hot fudge sauce (I used Hershey's)
vanilla ice cream, softened (I used Breyer's)
Real whipped cream (in a can)
maraschino cherries

 Optional:
frozen strawberries (thawed)
crushed pineapple (drained)
buttermilk caramel sauce (I made this, and intend to post it sometime soon!)
NOTE: I had these on the side
chopped peanuts (I did not have these)

Crush the Oreo Cookies (either by hand in a plastic bag, or in a food processor) and add melted butter. Reserve 1/2 cup crumbs and set aside. Line the bottom of a spring form pan with foil and place the Oreo Cookies in the bottom of the pan, firmly patting them into place. Next, cut up bananas into 1/2-inch slices and completely cover the Oreo layer. Freeze the pan for at least 10 minutes. After freezing, cover the banana/Oreo layer with strawberry ice cream until the pan is 1/2 full. Put back in freezer for about 15 minutes. Then, open the hot fudge sauce and stir. Pour evenly over the top of the strawberry layer and sprinkle with the reserved Oreo crumbs. Freeze until the hot fudge is stiff. Next, add the vanilla ice cream to the top of the pan. Freeze overnight, or at least 12 hours.

When time to serve, pipe whipped cream towers around the side of the cake, and place maraschino cherries on the top of those towers.

VERDICT: Legend--wait for it--dairy!

No comments: