Thursday, December 29, 2011

Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa

I love hot cocoa, and when I saw this recipe from Mrs. Happy Homemaker, I couldn't pass it up! I've been searching for a hot cocoa to make from scratch, and this sounded super easy; and guess what? It was! I took the picture up at my mom and dad's house in Iowa on Christmas Eve. 

This makes a very creamy hot cocoa, and even tastes good the next day. 

Ingredients
1 pint heavy cream (2 cups)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 package milk chocolate chips (2 cups)
6 cups milk (I used 2%, because that's what we drink right now)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Dump into slow cooker and cook on low for two hours, stirring occasionally.

The original recipe called for 1.5 cups of heavy cream, but I didn't want to throw away the other 1/2 cup of cream, so I just dumped it in.

This was on the heat for more than two hours, and I think it did very well. We also refrigerated it over night and I drank some the next morning. It was thick, but it still did taste good.

VERDICT: I really liked this. However, I'm about the only person in my family who likes hot cocoa--everyone else likes coffee. So, I am going to try another hot cocoa recipe, because it makes less, but I bet I still come back to this one!

No comments: