Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Meatloaf and Mustard Mashed Potato Salad


0429091854.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
I didn't realize when I started up on Weight W@tchers again that I could totally use my mom's meatloaf recipe. It makes 6 servings for just 4 points each. Pair that with zero-point green beans and 3-point Mustard Mashed Potato Salad and it's a fairly low-point meal that doesn't taste like one.

Meatloaf:
1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
1 raw egg
20 saltine crackers, crushed
1/2 cup ketchup--divided
mustard

Mix raw ground beef with egg, crackers, 1/4 cup ketchup and 1-2 tsp. yellow mustard. Mix well and pat mixture flat into a greased (with spray) loaf pan. Spread the rest of the ketchup, 1/4 cup, on the top of the loaf, then swirl yellow mustard on top of that if you wish. Bake in a 350 degree over for 40-50 minutes, or until done. Take out and drain off grease, then let sit for 5-10 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.

Mustard Mashed Potato Salad:
4 large red potatoes, diced and cooked until fork tender
2 ounces fat free cream cheese
water to thin
yellow mustard--to taste, I probably used 1/3-1/2 cup, but we love mustard
2 TBSP pickle relish
1/4 c. diced roasted red pepper
black pepper

After draining potatoes add cream cheese and smash, then add water to desired consistency of mashed potatoes--some like it a little creamier and less lumpy than others. Add yellow mustard, relish, red peppers and black pepper all to taste.

1/2 cup=3 points (well, it's between 2-3, but I always round up)


I grew up on this meatloaf, so it always tastes great to me, and Jeff likes it too. However, I wanted something tasty next to it and when I went routing through the fridge tonight I came up with this mustard mashed potato salad. We both really liked it.

However, for some odd reason I picked up sweet relish instead of dill pickle relish, and wow--it is sweet. I don't really care for it, but it did work ok in this recipe. Once I run out of it, though, I will be using dill pickle relish again!

No comments: