Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mmm...Brunch... Blueberry French Toast, Bacon and Eggs


0426091317.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
Blueberry French toast, bacon and cheesy eggs. Brunch doesn't get much better than this! I found blueberry struesel bread at T@rget this week, and wanted to use it for french toast. Even though it's 120 calories per slice with only 1 gram of fiber, I didn't have breakfast, so I figured I could safely have 2 slices, I'll just be eating carrots and celery for snacks today. That syrup you see was sent to me by my friend Sara, who just happens to live in Vermont and KNOWS what good syrup tastes like! And lastly, that is ketchup on my eggs.

You can find the French toast recipe here. Just substitute blueberry, or any other flavor bread, for regular sliced bread. Make the French toast first and place in warm oven or the microwave. This is the easiest item to warm up if it begins to get cold.

Next, fry 2 slices of bacon per person, and move the bacon to a plate. If making more than 4-6 slices you may have to drain some of the grease off the pan. However, just a little grease will add a tad bit of flavor to your eggs. Turn the heat down to low.

To prepare the eggs, use 2 (or if you have more than 1 person 2 1/2) eggs per person. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add about 1 tsp. of milk per serving and whisk until fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste--thus if you are me, A LOT of pepper. At this point I sometimes add in Tabasco sauce.

Over low heat add the egg mixture to the bacon fry pan, and let sit for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then, begin to agitate with a wooden spoon until almost done. Add in 1-oz of diced 2% cheddar cheese, and continue cooking until eggs are done. Removed from heat and eat.

You may substitute freshly shredded cheese for the diced cheese. I just prefer the diced cheese, because it doesn't melt into the eggs, so I can get a bite of the cheesy gooeyness.

I only made enough for me this morning, Jeff had leftovers from going out with a friend last night. I ALWAYS love French toast, so this was fantastic. Eggs are not always my favorite--I have to be in the right mood for them, but I liked them today--well, ketchup makes me like almost anything anyway. And, as always, bacon is fantastic. I've actually begun using the precooked bacon, so I have less waste.

No comments: