Thursday, April 23, 2009

Taco Casserole


0423091909.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
My mom used to make something like this when I was a kid. Of course, now that I want the recipe, she doesn't remember it. So, I went by memory, and changed some ingredients. This tastes a lot like Mom's, but if I make this again, there are some changes I'll make. For one, I'll use fresh tomatoes and place them in the beans instead of cooking them with the meat. Also, I was short on time, because I was photographing a high school soccer game, so I used the microwave instead of the oven--plus, it's freaking hot outside--81--unusual for April!

1 lb hamburger
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can fat free refried beans

Brown hamburger and add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Let simmer until reduced. Spread the beans into the bottom of a 9x9 pan, then place the meat mixture on top. Place in microwave for 5 minutes.

Take out of the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.

Then, top with your choice of the following:
sour cream
fresh shredded cheese
black olives
lettuce (I really don't like warm lettuce, which inevitably happens every time I put it on this casserole, so I don't use it)


And, don't forget to scoop it all up with baked Tostitos!

I really liked this, but would make it more like my mom did. First, I would use fresh tomatoes, quarter them and add them to the beans so the casserole isn't so watery. Also, if it weren't so hot outside, I would bake the casserole.

No comments: