Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Chili Cheese Dogs


0608091806.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
This was super easy! And, while I could have used the slow cooker for this, I was lazy and used a frying pan. I didn't use much cheese, but don't be fooled because if you fry your hot dogs in butter, you're adding extra fat and calories.

1 package light beef hot dogs
1 tsp butter (optional)
1-2 cans chili beans--drain about 1/3 of the liquid
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 c. ketchup
1 TBSP yellow mustard
2 oz 2% Velveeta, diced
1 package hot dog buns--the heart healthy wheat kind

Brown hot dogs in butter if you wish. Otherwise, dump all ingredients in a pan and warm until the cheese melts. You will need to stir this as it may crust or boil and make your kitchen a mess.

We topped ours with chopped onions, and it tasted fantastic! I only used 1/2 package of hot dogs, so I used 1 can of beans, but if I were to make an entire package of hot dogs, I would use 2 cans of beans. Then again, we really like beans!

I will definitely make this again--but next time I might use the slow cooker just so I don't have to stand at the stove the entire time.

No comments: