Monday, September 07, 2009

Beef Soup/Stew


0905091943.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine
I used to make this stew over the stove top, but decided to use my slow cooker over the weekend. While I need to cut back on the water to make this more stew-like the next time, I found using the slow cooker was much better!

Ingredients
1-2 lbs stew meat, browned with onion
1 large onion, chopped, browned with meat
Scant 1/4 cup red wine (optional--used to deglaze the pan)
1 lb. carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 large potatoes, diced (I always leave the skins on)
1 c. frozen corn
1 lb. mushrooms, chopped
4 cups beef broth
2 cups water (optional--use if making over the stove top)
1-2 TBSP flour (optional--may need it to thicken the soup to a stew)
pepper to taste

Brown onions in 1-2 teaspoons EVOO. When translucent add beef and cook until browned, then shut off heat and add red wine to deglaze the pan. Set to the side to cool.

Place all veggies in the slow cooker, then add beef broth (and water if you choose) and the cooled beef. Cook on high for 6 or so hours, and low for another 2-3.

If you need to thicken the soup you have two options. You can smash a potato and add it back to the pot, or you can add flour like you would a gravy.

Personally, I like my stews more like soup, but it's all up to you!

VERDICT: This tastes great--like always--but was so much less labor intensive than cooking it over the stove top, because I didn't worry about the burners being on.

No comments: