Sunday, November 08, 2009

Candy Bars


1108091536.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine

This picture was taken at Mom and Dad's house back in Iowa. It was her birthday, so I made some candy bars to take! I think they turned out pretty well!

Ingredients

2-3 sleeves club crackers (I used reduced fat)
1 cup butter
2 sleeves low-fat graham crackers, crushed (about 2-2 1/2 cups)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup butterscotch morsels

Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an extension of foil on both sides--DO NOT GREASE the pan. Place 1 layer of club crackers on the bottom of the pan. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat, then add in the crushed graham crackers, brown sugar, milk and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 miutes, stirring constantly. Be careful that it doesn't get too hot too fast, as it will separate (mine did separate, but it was still spreadable). Remove mixture from heat and spread half of caramel mixture evenly over crackers. Place another single layer of crackers evenly over butter mixture. Spread remaining butter mixture evenly over crackers, then add another layer of crackers on top.

In a microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter, chocolate morsels, and butterscotch morsels. Carefully melt in the microwave in 30-15 second intervals. Spread over top of crackers. Cover, and chill for at least 1 hour. Lift foil overhang and cut bars--I used the Wilton cutters I have. Store in a cool place--preferably in the refrigerator.


VERDICT: LOVE LOVE LOVE! I tried to follow the original recipe from My Kitchen Cafe, but you know me, I always have to be a little different. I crushed too many graham crackers, so I added some extra milk. :) Also, my caramel sauce separated, however, I'm pretty sure that was due to the fact that my stove got too warm to fast. I hate this stove, but it's still usable, and only 2-years-old (it came with the house), so we don't want to get a new one. But, the bars still taste great!

No comments: