Sunday, November 01, 2009

Peanut Butter Chicken


1101091815.jpg
Originally uploaded by IowaSunshine

I know, I know, this is not a very good photo. First, I take all photos with my camera phone, and second, well, this is just not a very photogenic food. However, it's goooooood. This is based off of the Asian Peanut Butter Pork from "A Year of Slow Cooking." (See the link on the side.)

Ingredients
1 lb. chicken (I used tenders)
1/2 white onion, sliced into long strips
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy
3 TBSP vinegar--I used white wine vinegar
3 TBSP hot water

Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, then add the onions. Place chicken on top of onions. Meanwhile, mix the sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter and vinegar; then add hot water, making sure to mix well. The sauce will look a little clumpy, and that's fine. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until done. (I also stir occasionally. I know you're not supposed to, but I can't help it!!)

I served this with quinoa tonight--my first time ever making it. It's fairly simple, and fast! I spooned some of the peanut sauce over the grain, and it tasted great--a little party in your mouth.


VERDICT: My house smells like peanut butter, and I'm not complaining, because it reminds me of how good this was! The flavor is wonderfully peanut-y, but not overpowering. The onion tames the sweetness. And, the chicken was TENDER. SUPER TENDER!!

I was a little pissed this morning, because I opened up the chicken bag and found that my tenders were a bit freezer burned. I just bought that bag about a month-6 weeks ago, and it was properly sealed from the last time I used it. Yet, it was still burned. Now, this is the Tyson chicken brand, so I wanted to see how it would compare to my Target brand chicken breasts package, so I opened that one up. Guess what? That one has been in my freezer longer and has NO freezer burned fillets in it. I wonder if this is a one-time thing, or if somehow the Tyson bags are inferior. Thoughts?

No comments: