Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Gourmet Pea Salad

I wanted something different for supper, so I read a couple different gourmet pea salads and came up with one to call my own. Here's my take on a gourmet pea salad. 

Ingredients
3 strips raw bacon, diced
1 cup dry pasta
1/2 c. cold milk
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 c green OR yellow OR red peppers, diced (I used a combo of the 3 different colors to equal 1/2 cup)
1/4-1/2 c shredded carrots
1/4-1/2 c onion
1 c 2% cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
1/2 c. light Miracle Whip
1/2 c. light Ranch dressing

Cook bacon, drain on paper towels. Cook pasta to al dente. During last minute (or two minutes) of cooking add peas, then drain. Place in a salad bowl and add milk. Cool pasta mixture. When mixture is cold add diced peppers, carrots, onion and about 1/2 cup of the cheese. Then, add in the Miracle Whip and Ranch. Stir gently. Garnish with cheese and bacon.

VERDICT: It's a winner recipe. Although, I think I might want to try it with Miracle Whip only to see if it still has a great taste. Even though I like Ranch dressing, sometimes I don't care for it. However, it works well in this recipe. If I would have had celery on hand--I can't believe we forgot it at the store last weekend--I probably would have thrown in 1/2 cup of sliced celery.

No comments: