Sunday, March 14, 2010

Soda Can Chicken

I found this at Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi, and knew I had to try it. I've been dying to dry beer-in-the-rear chicken, too, but I rarely have beer cans on hand. Soda, though, is usually stored in my garage. 

Ingredients
1/2 can diet lemon-lime soda, leave soda in the can
Add the following to the can:
1/2 c barbecue sauce (I used Bulls Eye)

Then, open the cavity of the chicken, and slip over the top of the soda can: 1 3-4 pound chicken

Dry rub, rub the outside of the chicken:
1 TBSP dried basil
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place on a foil lined, edged cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, 50 minutes, or until done--juices run clear and it measures at least 160 degrees on a meat thermometer. Let sit for AT LEAST 10 minutes before you try and pull the can out of the chicken. IT'S HOT! You can pour the sauce over the chicken when it's done, but I chose not to do this.


VERDICT: Very tasty, and fun to make! I just made it and forgot about it for about 2 hours while I cleaned up the kitchen and did some dishes (the kitchen was in sad shape.) In the future, I might tinker with the seasonings, but don't kid yourself, it's very good!

No comments: