Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sweet Ham

I modified this recipe just a little from Heidi at Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi, because, for one, I don't have an outside grill to grill the ham on. Even though I baked this in the oven, it came out succulent. I had forgotten how moist ham can be! 


Ingredients
1-1 1/2 lb ham steak
1 large can pineapple rings, reserve 1/4 c of the juice
2 TBSP brown sugar
1-2 TBSP soy sauce (I used reduced-sodium)

Spray a pan with non-stick spray, then add the ham steak. Arrange pineapple rings on top of the ham. Mix the reserved pineapple juice, sugar and soy sauce together and pour over the steak. Marinate for at least 1/2 an hour--you could do this in the morning, also. Take out of the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until hot.

VERDICT: We really liked the flavor this dish had. It was sweet, yet salty. Plus, the pineapple acquired some of the ham flavor, which gave it an almost smokey taste. Definitely a winner--because it's easy and tasty. Plus, I could see this being made in a slow cooker.

No comments: