Sunday, May 23, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Salad

Here's a sweet/tart/sour salad that just seems to hit the palate. I have a lot of rhubarb on the plant this year, so I'm sure this will become a staple for the next couple weeks. Plus, I can always freeze dice rhubarb. I found this in my Taste of Home Fast Fixes with Mixes cookbook, and slightly varied it (only because I didn't want to go out and pick one more stalk of rhubarb!).

Ingredients
2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb (I used 1 1/2)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 because we like rhubarb tart)
1/4 cup water
1 3-oz package strawberry gelatin (I used sugar free)
1 1/2 cups whipped topping (I used the entire container--save a few spoonfuls I "taste-tested")

In a saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 3-5 minutes, or until rhubarb is softened. Removed form the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until partially set. Fold in whipped topping. Chill until firm.


VERDICT: We found this to be very refreshing! When you first bite into the salad it seems sweet, until you hit the rhubarb, then it's sour. It hits all of your taste buds at once, or so it seems. This salad went very well with our steak and corn.

No comments: