Sunday, March 14, 2010

Toffee Bars

For my bridal shower two years ago, my cousin held a cook's shower. Many of the guests brought recipes with them, and I've tried many of the recipes. This recipe is from Jeff's aunt Wanda, and has made it's way into my repertoire already. Even my mom, who doesn't like coconut, liked these bars. 

Ingredients
Mix the following thoroughly:
1/2 c soft margarine (I used butter)
1/2 c brown sugar
Sir in: 1 c flour
Press and flatten with hand to cover the bottom of 13x9" oblong pan. Bake 10 minutes in 350 degree oven. Then spread with the topping below: 
Beat well:
2 eggs
Stir in:
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Mix together and stir in:
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix in:
1 c shredded coconut
1 c nuts (I used pecans)
Return to oven and bake 25 minutes more until topping is golden brown. Cool slightly and cut into bars.


VERDICT: Very rich and flavorful. This would be a great bar to take to a summer potluck.

No comments: