Friday, July 02, 2010

Chewy Brownies

Do you remember the days when margarine was the go-to item for baking? In the late 80s-early 90s, all you heard on TV was that margarine was better than butter, so use butter. However, times and opinions have changed; butter is now ok to eat again. 


I inherited a cookbook from my aunt when she passed away 10 years ago, and found this recipe. The cookbook was a compilation of recipes from where she had worked, and it even included some of her recipes. However, this recipe is from a coworker of hers.

I have been making these for a couple of years now--ok, 10--and they are my favorite! In fact, I don't use boxed brownies unless I'm going to doctor them up, because this recipe is so easy and tastes so much better. Moreover, they don't need frosting, so there is very little cleanup.

Ingredients
2 sticks margarine (I use butter)
4 T cocoa
2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
nuts, optional (I did not use these)

Melt margarine and add cocoa--cool. Beat eggs well. Add sugar. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour. Add nuts if desire. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (I ALWAYS NEED TO COOK IT LONGER, SO I WOULD SAY 30-35 MINUTES.)

VERDICT: Nicely crunchy on the edges (my favorite part) and chewy in the center! To be honest with you, I never follow the instructions. I melt the butter and cocoa together, let it cool, then add the sugar and flour, leaving the eggs and vanilla for last. Why?? I don't know, other than that's how Mom's Cookie Sheet Cake is mixed together.

No comments: