Saturday, March 19, 2011

Taco Meatloaf

When I found a recipe for taco meatloaf from Lauren's Kitchen, I knew I had to try this one, since I'm not in love with my taco loaf. But, once I took a closer look, I realized I don't use a lot of those ingredients; so  I modified the recipe. For instance, I always have salsa on hand, and decided to substitute that for the Ro-tel and onions. When I drained the chunky salsa I had, I noticed  that there was enough tomato/salsa sauce to put on the top of the loaf, so I could eliminate the taco sauce. Thus, I reduced the amount of ingredients, which works well for this working mama. So, here's my rendition of taco meatloaf. 


Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
1 c chunky salsa (I use the Target generic), drained, reserve the juice
1 egg
1 package (or equivalent) taco seasoning (I find it's cheaper in bulk)
1 c crushed baked Doritos (crush them fine!)
1 c shredded cheese
GARNISH: Your favorite cheese sauce (I make mine with Velveeta light, salsa and taco seasoning)

Mix ground beef, drained salsa, egg, taco seasoning, crushed baked Doritos, and cheese. Place in a greased loaf pan. Take the reserved salsa juice and pour evenly over the top of the loaf. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes (it depends on how you like your meatloaf, and how your oven cooks). Let sit for five minutes before cutting.After cutting, you may garnish with your favorite cheese sauce.

VERDICT: Flavorful! This was so good, I took it to work and ate it cold! I didn't need the cheese sauce when I took it to work, because the loaf packs a tongue-tingling punch!

No comments: